The Sequence to Success DNA Barcoding Challenge (aka DNA Subway) at UC Riverside is an interdisciplinary outreach project consisting of students from local community colleges pursuing a bachelors degree in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math [STEM]. Participants are asked to collect fish samples and bring them to the Neil A. Campbell Science Learning Laboratory located in the University Laboratory Building on the UCR campus for an introduction in to scientific research at UCR. Each student will learn primer function, DNA extraction, the Polymerase Chain Reaction, gel electrophoresis and DNA Sequencing as well as other molecular biology techniques. Students will also learn to use DNA barcoding software found in the DNA Subway, a free online DNA analysis platform. The project is currently funded by a grant from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Students will meet on the UCR Campus for a 1-day introduction and immersion into the research project and conduct the experiment. Sequencing data will be obtained and students will work off campus in assigned groups to analyze class data and produce a research poster. Students will return to present their posters in a symposium setting as a capstone presentation.
Applications Closed please check back Fall 2021 (early September)
- Program Dates: 4-weeks - mid-October through mid-November
- UCR Campus Visits (*Mandatory):
- Begin: *1st Saturday, 8:00am-5:00pm - Introduction & Experiment
- Weeks 1-3: Remote work in groups
- Week 4: *4th Saturday, 8:00am-2:00pm - Symposium Presentation
|8:00am-5:00pm - Introduction & Experiment @ UCR*|
|Work in groups, analyze data, develop abstract & poster|
|Group Work (remote)||Abstract Draft Due|
|Group Work (remote)||
Abstract Final & Poster Draft Due
|Poster Final Due||8:00am-2:00pm - Symposium Presentation @ UCR*|
- Current community college student pursuing a STEM degree
- Partnering community colleges have included Riverside City College, Norco College, Moreno Valley College, Mount San Jacinto College, Mount San Antonio College, El Camino College, Chaffey College, San Bernardino Valley College, Crafton Hills College, College of the Desert, Pasadena City College
- *Must be available to attend the 2 mandatory on-campus visits to UC Riverside, no exceptions.
- No experience necessary!